Friday, September 5, 2008

#38 - try a new restaurant


Last week Chris and I hoped in the truck and headed over to Lowe's to pick up some stuff. After we decided to head to dinner but didn't know where to go - so we started driving. Ended up at Hill's Cafe on S. Congress. It's one of those places I've always wanted to try since I've heard so much about it but never remember to suggest. So I'm glad we finally were able to stop in.

For those that don't know...Hill's Cafe is owned by KVET morning DJ Bob Cole and is the location for the KVET free summer concert series. I've wanted to go to several of the concerts too but haven't made it yet - hopefully sometime soon...

Anyway, the place is definitely down home Texas cookin'. At the end of the night I'd have to say I was just "eh" about the food though. Everything seemed to be fried....so I felt guilty eating there. The onion rings get a thumbs up - and I'm hard to please on onion rings. The fried pickles were my favorite part - they were pickle spears so that was unique. The mac n cheese wasn't good at all - which surprised me because usually places like that have amazing home cooked mac n cheese.

But my biggest disappointed was with the chicken fried steak. I don't normally eat chicken fried steak (unlike my husband who must order it if it's on the menu). Since it said it was the official chicken fried steak of the Austion Rodeo I thought it would be good. I was mislead - guess I shouldn't have read that to mean it was the best. It tasted more like dog food to me (not that I know what dog food really tastes like). I could barely eat it. It holds no candle to the Gristmill's chicken friend steak...now that is some yumminess! I think I should have gone with the Hill's burger - which does have a "best" title in it....voted best burger in Austin (I think by Statesman former food writer Dale Rice).

Anyway, I'd go back again...especially to go to one of the concerts...but I won't be twisting any arms to get there.

No comments: