Monday, September 22, 2008

Girly Movies

It is a VERY rare occasion that I get the house to myself all weekend long. While I'm often out abandoning my husband on weekends to travel to see some friend or family member, he's the type that just wants to stay home. So when he left this past weekend for a seminar down in Corpus - I took FULL advantage of this opportunity.

I had my PJs, mac n cheese, bottle of wine and ice cream on hand to help me through the weekend. I plopped myself down on the couch and settled in to catch up on various girly shows on DVR (Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, 90210, etc - yes I still think I'm 17 on the inside).

I also made sure to watch as many girly movies as I could while Chris was gone. Little trick - have you tried the Red Box before? If not, don't be intimidated by it like I was at first. It's easy. Red boxes can be found in places like McDonald's and Wal Mart. They have all sorts of new release DVDs that you can rent for $1 a day. You just swipe your card, pick a movie, watch it and return it to any Red Box location by 9 p.m. the next day. If you keep it longer than that, they just charge you another $1 a day. It's so simple and cheap! So this weekend I rented 2 girly movies from the Red Box.

(ppssssttt - I also saw Mama Mia! again this weekend but I won't count that towards my 100 movies. Just couldn't stay away from it and all its ABBA glory)

1. Made of Honor

With McDreamy in the movie, it has to be good, right? Well...it wasn't bad. But let's just say I'm glad I only spent a buck on the movie. I think if the ending hadn't felt so rushed, it might have been better.

2. What Happens in Vegas

I liked this one a lot more...but not like "rush out to buy it on DVD" more. Let's just say I was happy I saw it and it totally fulfilled my need for a cheesy romantic comedy.

------------------------------------

I also saw a bonus movie this weekend. Wasn't planning on it, but when I saw Annie Hall was going to be on AMC Sunday afternoon - I had to make sure I watched it. It's one of those movies you always hear about and know that you aren't cool until you've watched it. I have to admit, I was a little nervous - afraid I wasn't smart enough for the movie. But that was silly - I loved it.

Top 10 reasons why I love Annie Hall:
10. The part where Alvy and Annie are having a conversation and there is subtitles of what they're really thinking - reminded me of the first Wayne's World movie when Wayne and Cassandra have a similar scene. Then I felt silly for remembering that...and comparing one of AFI's 100 Best Movies to Wayne's World...
9. How Alvy grew up in a house under a roller coaster
8. Wasn't expecting to see Paul Simon in the movie
7. The fast dialogue
6. The scene where Annie and Alvy are visiting their separate therapists at the same time and both therapists ask if they have enough sex and Alvy responds "hardly ever - maybe three times a week" and Annie responds "constantly - like three times a week!" It was like looking into a mirror. haha
5. That Christopher Walken is creepy - even in a romantic comedy
4. The scene where Alvy is killing the spider the size of a Buick in Annie's bathroom
3. That I still don't know why Alvy and his agent call each other Max
2. "Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you, two F's" - Alvy
And my #1 reason...when Alvy sneezes into the canister of cocaine and it goes all over the place. hysterical!

No comments: