Monday, September 29, 2008

Austin is Spaztastic!

#34 - do something Austin-y

Last weekend was a unique experience for me - I had the house to myself and nothing on the schedule for the entire weekend. This is so unbelievably rare for me. And even though I planned on camping out on the couch in PJs all weekend eating mac n cheese and ice cream, I found myself itching for something more by Saturday morning. So I called up my friend Monica and we ended up hanging out and knocking some 101 goals off the list.

1. Four Hands Sale

Who knew a furniture sale would be so awesome? But it really was. Four Hands is a wholesale furniture company, so they aren't usually open for the public. However, several times a year they have a big warehouse sale and you can buy leftovers for great prices. Monie went with me to see what all the fuss was that we'd heard about. All I can say is "Damn, wish I was a lottery winner so I could buy everything they had there!" I couldn't believe the awesome prices they had for such quality furniture. It's hard to find solid wood furniture pieces these days - and for the normal price as the crappy furniture - it was amazing. So now that I know what to expect - I hope to have a bank account full and ready for spending when they have their next sale!

Chandelier Monie was drooling over.

2. Saw Spasmatics in Concert
After spending the whole afternoon together, Monie and I just hadn't had enough of each other. So we headed downtown to Cedar St so she could enlighten me to the fabulousness that is the Spasmatics. I've been to many concerts in my day, but I'd have to say that this was my second favorite concert ever (no one will ever beat Willie Nelson).

Meet my new crush - Geoffrey on the bass (on the left)

Who knew nerds could be so popular and cool and have groupies???? You just want to pinch their cheeks. I seriously can't wait to go see them again. It's so brilliant and strange and funky and weird that it has to be considered Austin-y. Wanna see them for yourself? They play at Cedar St every Wednesday night - go check them out!

The gravy on the night: they sang my favorite song (please watch the original video just so you can see the grown men in black diapers - gotta love the 80s).

Monie and I after a long day of taking in Austin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww i had a great time with you too!!
Lets do it again and soon!
xoxoxox

Also you forgot a 101... try a new place. Hyde Park Grill.